For this summer’s family vacation, we once again returned to the great state of Maine, but instead of staying just south of Portland in the sleepy fishing village of Camp Ellis as we did in 2011 and 2012, we decided to drive further up the coast. This time around, we stayed in Northport which is 15 minutes south of Belfast and 20 minutes north of Camden. To be more specific, we rented a 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom cottage in a small Victorian village that dates back to the 1850s which is located in the heart of Northport.
What’s the name of this Victorian village? I’m not telling you, but I think I’ve given enough clues so that you can figure it out on your own. And why am I not going to tell you the exact name of this charming little place? Because I want this to be my own little secret for as long as possible!
Over the course of our seven day stay, we drove as far south as Owls Head and as far north as Mt. Desert Island (the home of Acadia National Park). Our activities during the week included a few short hikes, relaxing on the beach, crabbing, an afternoon sail, exploring a fort that dates back to the mid 1800s, visiting a small winery/distillery as well as one of my favorite breweries, and of course, eating a plethora of fantastic food!
As I have done in years past, rather than put you through the drudgery of reading a long winded vacation recap, I will instead let you see for yourself how beautiful Maine can be in the summer time. And please be sure to click the included links if you want additional information about all the places we visited. Cheers!
A Charming Victorian Village in the Heart of Northport, ME
Oodles of Food and Drink
Here are links to all of the eating and drinking establishments we visited:
- Owls Head General Store, Owls Head, ME
- Maine Beer Company, Freeport, ME
- The Badger Cafe and Pub, Union, ME
- Sweetgrass Farm Winery and Distillery, Union, ME
- Young’s Lobster Pound, Belfast, ME
- Laan-Xang Cafe, Belfast, ME
- Cappy’s Chowder House, Camden, ME
- Belfast Coop, Belfast, ME
Some Fabulous Sights!
And here are links to all of the places we visited:
- Camden Hills State Park, Camden, ME
- Schooner Olad of Camden, ME
- Rockland Breakwater Light, Rockland, ME
- Acadia National Park, Mt. Desert Island, ME
- Fort Knox, Prospect, ME
- Camden, ME
- Owls Head State Park, Owls Head, ME