“Welcome, Great Pumpkin!” Party at Iron Hill Maple Shade for the Release of The Great Imperial Pumpkin Ale
MAPLE SHADE, NJ – On Saturday, September 7 from 12 noon to 5 p.m., Head Brewer Chris LaPierre will host a “Welcome, Great Pumpkin” party to celebrate the annual release of The Great Imperial Pumpkin Ale at Iron Hill Brewery & Restaurant. Seven taps will be dedicated to pumpkin beers during the event, including three guest beers, and the kitchen will be creating pumpkin food specials to compliment the beers.
“Pumpkin beer was one of the earliest beer styles dating back to colonial times. Pumpkins were a native plant and the fermentable sugars from the meat of the pumpkin took the place of malt, which wasn’t readily available. Today, pumpkin beers have become one of the top seasonal styles in the country and The Great Imperial Pumpkin Ale is something we look forward to sharing every year,” says LaPierre.
The Great Imperial Pumpkin Ale is a hearty autumnal beer that LaPierre brewed with more than 200 pounds of pumpkins, as well as pumpkin pie spices, molasses and Belgian candi sugar, giving it a rich flavor and heady aroma, evocative of all things fall. Throughout the season, the beer will be sold on draft and as a Bottled Reserve, Iron Hill’s line of cork-finished 750 ml bottles, for $19.50. The Great Imperial Pumpkin Ale bottles feature a custom-designed label from local artist Jeff Schaller, inspired by thebeloved comic strip Peanuts.
The Welcome, Great Pumpkin party will be pay-as-you-go and will include a full day of pumpkin beers. A sampler, with 4-ounce tastes of each pumpkin beer, will also be available. The beer lineup includes:
- The Great Imperial Pumpkin Ale
- Pumpkin Ale, a medium-bodied copper ale that is malt-y sweet with balancing bitterness, brewed with oven-roasted Lancaster pie pumpkins and spiced with traditional pumpkin pie spices instead of finishing hops
- Bourbon Imperial Pumpkin Ale, with big notes of bourbon and vanilla layered with pumpkin pie spices and a firm caramel malt body
- Cinderella’s Carriage, a light amber, fuller-bodied Belgian-style pumpkin ale
- Dogfish Head Punkin, a full-bodied brown ale with smooth hints of pumpkin and brown sugar
- Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin, a heartier, spicier, more “caramel-y,” more “pumpkin-y” pumpkin ale
- Elysian Night Owl, a very drinkable pumpkin ale with both roasted and raw pumpkin seeds and pumpkin meat
For those who would like a pumpkin bite with their beer, Executive Chef Mike Casciello has created special pumpkin dishes. The scrumptious dishes include:
- Roasted Pumpkin Soup, spiced pumpkin seeds and nutmeg crème fraiche
- Maple Glazed Pumpkin Pizza, fontina, asiago, rosemary, cracked black pepper and blue cheese crema
- Cinderella Pumpkin Bruschetta, roasted red peppers, yellow tomato concasse, caramelized garlic, sage, extra virgin olive oil and balsamic syrup
- Pumpkin-Sweet Potato Gnocchi, brussel sprouts, shaved pecorino romano, toasted almonds and balsamic reduction
- Fried Pumpkin Ravioli, caramelized red pearl onions, roasted portobella mushrooms and sage pesto
- Pan Seared Sea Scallops, herbed pumpkin risotto, asparagus spears and candied pancetta
- Pumpkin Pie Pot De Crème, cinnamon graham cracker crust, marshmallow brulee
Since opening in 2009, Iron Hill Maple Shade has become one of the most celebrated brewery and dining destinations in southern New Jersey. South Jersey Magazinerecently awarded Iron Hill “2013 Best Beer Selection” and New Jersey Monthly named Iron Hill “Best Brewpub 2013.”
Happy Hour in Maple Shade is held Thursdays and Fridays from 5 until 7 p.m. and features $3 house beers and $4 seasonal beers, drinks and house wines throughout the bar and cocktail areas. Pizza lovers can order the daily to-go special of two pizzas and a growler of house beer for just $25 until 11 p.m.
*On Saturday, September 7 at 1 p.m., all other nine Iron Hill locations will also be launching The Great Imperial Pumpkin Ale both on draft and as a Bottled Reserve.
Categories: Brew and Booze News