Please rate and review the show on your favorite Podcast platform, and if you have any questions or comments, message us here, or send us an email at email@example.com.
Episode 12 finds us wishing for days of travel with special guest, André Darlington, author of Booze Cruise: A Tour of the World’s Essential Mixed Drinks, soon to be released on Running Press. André got our get-up-and-go going as we talked about travel food shows. Not food that travels. That would be silly. Shows about travel and food. Yeah, that makes more sense. And we get deep into Booze Cruise, a fun-filled book loaded with food and drink from all over the world. Andre gives us the skinny (and, boy, we need skinny these days!) on all of the work (and play) it took visiting 40 cities around the globe (pre-pandemic) and exploring the bars and cocktails in them. It was almost like a vacation for us! Join us. That’s just an invitation to come along. We’re not paying! Call your travel agent.
- 02:20 Andre Darlington
- 02:30 Drinks! Lindores Abbey Aqua Vitae, Negroni with Ginquila, Yamazaki 12
- 05:00 Book talk: Booze Cruise, Andre’s books: cocktails, movies, music, travel.
- 09:00 Pitch Talk and Book Inspiration; Traveling Around the World; Charles H. Baker, Jr.
- 12:08 New era of cocktails/bars post-pandemic?
- 15:40 Non-alcoholic drinks; new “moderation” era?
- 18:42: Andre’s Sister: Tenaya Darlington aka Madame Fromage
- 20:18 Foreign Travel, Cultural Differences
- 23:44 Bartenders and Bars Around the World
- 29:26 DrinksI! Milk & Honey Single Malts (Red Wine cask), Fernet, Caperitif (South Africa)
- 30:00 Travel Food Shows: Anthony Bourdain, Stanley Tucci
- 35:50 Contextualizing Cocktails, Drinking, and Food
- 37:25 Andrew Zimmern, More Bourdain
- 40:40 Guy Fieri, More Bourdain; Non-“food” Hosts
- 45:30 Travel Writing, More Bourdain
- 47:30 Phil Rosenthal
- 51:50 Emeril Lagasse, Gordon Ramsey, Jon Taffer
- 53:35 Dave Chang, Ugly Delicious
- 57:09 Food TV and Podcasts,
- 58:12 Instagram How-To’s
- 61:20 Booze TV Shows
- 1:07:20 Drinks! Cynar, Starward Anniversary Single Malt, Foursquare 2004 Rum
- 1:10:05 Travel Shows: Rick Steves
- 1:15:00 Michael Palin on Trains
- 1:16:00 Celebrity Travel Show Pitches, Storytelling
- 1:19:15 The Great British Baking Show
- 1:20:35 Jiro Dreams of Sushi
- 1:21:00 Book Talk: Research, Surprises, Local Spirits, Food and Drink
- 1:35:10 Tinned Fish talk; Food Shopping
- 1:37:35 Booze & Vinyl; The Revenge of Analog
- 1:45:00 Book Talk: Promotion in the Pandemic Era