Below is one of the more interesting press releases that landed in our inbox just last week. Here’s hoping that we can find the time to make it out for one of these tastings!
Crabbie’s Alcoholic Ginger Beer Week in Philly
Introducing Spiced Orange
PHILADELPHIA, PA – From Monday, May 5 through Saturday, May 10, Crabbie’s Alcoholic Ginger Beer, a 4.8% ABV, refreshing ginger beer – only for grown-ups, will host, “It’s Time for a Crabbie’s Week” highlighting Crabbie’s over ice with a slice, various Crabbie’s cocktails around town, Crabbie’s gift giveaways and complimentary samplings to introduce the newest flavor, Spiced Orange. Crabbie’s, which the Huffington Post “the UK’s best-selling ginger beer is finally available in the U.S., and we are quite pleased about it” is ideal served chilled over ice with a slice of citrus.
“The people of Philadelphia have been incredible supporters of Crabbie’s since it first became available so we are really excited to launch Spiced Orange in the area,” says Phil Clarke, general manager of St. Killian, the exclusive US importer of Crabbie’s. “We look forward to the week and hope to meet new friends and fans and enjoy these delicious drinks together.”
Crabbie’s has established, and is leading, the alcoholic ginger beer category in the United States. Crabbie’s Original is carefully crafted from a secret recipe that combines ginger shipped from the Far East which is cold steeped for up to six weeks and the combined with four exotic spices. The result is a refreshing, light bodied ginger beer with a spicy fresh ginger flavor, notes of citrus and a warming finish. The newest addition to the Crabbie’s portfolio is Spiced Orange which offers the same refreshing taste as the Original but with a lighter ginger profile and a zesty orange flavor.
The line-up for “It’s Time for a Crabbie’s Week” includes:
- Monday, May 5, starting at 5 p.m. drink a Crabbie’s to celebrate Cinco de Mayo at Sancho Pistola’s (19 West Girard Avenue, 267.324.3530.)
- Sancho Pistola’s will be serving Crabbie’s Original over ice with a slice, the Mezcal Mule made with Crabbie’s and bitters, and as a special for Cinco de Mayo, The Crabbie Sancho, a pear margarita with Crabbie’s Original served in a glass rimmed with cinnamon and chili pepper.
- Complimentary Tasting of Crabbie’s Spiced Orange until 8 p.m.
- First 20 people to order a Crabbie’s over ice or a Crabbie’s Cocktail will receive a Crabbie’s Beach Towel.
- Wednesday, May 7 from 6 to 8 p.m. stop by Fado Irish Pub (1500 Locust Street, 215-893-9700) for a Crabbie’s!
- Fado will be serving: Crabbie’s Original and Spiced Orange over ice with a slice; The Fado Jameson and Crabbie’s, Jameson Irish Whiskey with Original and lime; Mexican Mule, Jalapeno infused Jose Cuervo Tequila, Original and fresh lemon juice; and the Caribbean Orange Crabbie’s, Spiced Orange with Myers Dark Rum blended perfectly with fresh muddled fruit and cranberry juice.
- Complimentary Tasting of the Mexican Mule and Caribbean Orange Crabbie’s.
- First 20 people to order a Crabbie’s over ice or one of the Crabbie’s cocktails will receive a Crabbie’s T-Shirt.
- Thursday, May 8 from 6 to 8 p.m. it’s time for a Crabbie’s at Growlers (736 South 8th Street, 267-519-3242.)
- Growlers will be serving: Crabbie’s Original and Spiced Orange over ice with a slice; Dark and Crabbie, dark rum with Original; andThe Rye of the Storm, Old Overholt rye whiskey, Angostura bitters, lime zest and Original.
- Complimentary Tasting of Crabbie’s Spiced Orange.
- Chef Michael Thomas will offer a list of dishes suggested to pair Crabbie’s.
- First 20 people to order a Crabbie’s over ice with a slice or Crabbie’s specialty cocktail will receive a pair of Crabbie’s UV Sunglasses and Bowtie Bottle Opener.
- Friday, May 9 from 6 to 8 p.m. samplings at two locations of The Foodery on 10th Street (324 South 10th Street) and in Roxborough (6138-6140 Ridge Avenue.)
- Enjoy tastes of both Original and Spiced Orange.
- First 20 people to sample Crabbie’s at each The Foodery location will receive a Crabbie’s Bowtie Bottle Opener; purchase and receive a Crabbie’s gift (while supplies last.)
- Saturday, May 10 from 12 noon to 2 p.m. sample some Crabbie’s in Northern Liberties at The Foodery (837 North 2nd Street).
- Enjoy tastes of both Original and Spiced Orange.
- First 20 people to sample Crabbie’s will receive a Crabbie’s Bowtie Bottle Opener; purchase and receive get a Crabbie’s gift (while supplies last.)
Since Crabbie’s entered the U.S. market, it has received high praise from The Dallas Morning News which called Crabbie’s “moderately gingered and not too sweet…a smooth, refreshing drink,” and Bon Appetit that hailed “a ginger beer that lives up to its name.” Crabbie’s was named “Best in Show” by greater San Francisco’s Fairfax Beer Festival, where it stacked up against some of the nation’s top domestic craft breweries.
The Crabbie’s adventure dates back to 1801 in Edinburgh, Scotland and the shipping port of Leith. Pioneering drink merchant John Crabbie began creating new offerings to sell in his shop at 99 Giles Street. He looked to the Far East to source the best ingredients including the finest ginger and exotic spices; elephants were traditionally used to transport these goods to ships to import to Scotland. More than 200 years later, Crabbie’s elephant logo symbolizes its heritage and search for ingredients which are still used today to develop the one-of-a-kind flavor of its alcoholic ginger beer.
Crabbie’s is available for purchase in two formats: a four-pack of 11 ounce bottles and a larger 16.9 ounce bottle. Ideal for sipping, it can also be blended into a variety of ginger beer cocktails, such as a Dark and Crabbie and the Moscow Mule.
Crabbie’s is currently available throughout Philadelphia where it is distributed by Penn Distributors. For more information on Crabbie’s, please visit them on Facebook or follow them on Twitter and Instagram (@CrabbiesUSA) #icewithaslice.
Categories: Brew and Booze News