Several weeks ago, we received an email from Hush Moonshine asking if we’d like to sample some of their product for a possible review. While Moonshine isn’t something that we normally drink, when I noticed that Hush makes a Spiced Apple version, I just had to give it a try. You see, I’m a huge fan of FX’s Justified, and without a doubt, the best villain on the show was Mags Bennett, a marijuana dealer in Harlan County who was famous for her Apple Pie Moonshine (if you’re a fan of the show, then you know that Mags makes some killer hooch. Sometimes literally). Here’s hoping that the Hush Spiced Apple Moonshine is only lethal from a deliciousness perspective!
Before we get to our review, below are a few words about Hush Moonshine and their Spiced Apple expression taken directly from their website:
Keeping a secret can be difficult, and when it is a juicy secret it might be near impossible. It takes a great deal of willpower and determination, not to want to tell someone what you just heard.
The moonshine business was built on confidence, loyalty and the ability to keep secrets. The most successful Shiners surrounded themselves and their operations with trusted family, friends and associates.
Our Moonshine production is not a criminal activity. We create our product from scratch with a trustworthy distiller and the best flavorists. Hush Moonshine is simply the smoothest un-aged corn whiskey on the market. We utilize a “Secret” refining method that eliminates any and all impurities from distillation.
Our Spiced Apple is made from clear, grain spirit fused together with genuine apple and cinnamon flavors. It has a slightly warm, spicy aroma with hints of ginger and cloves. Notes of sweet, crisp apples and citrus predominate, and are complemented by a subtle, cinnamon undertone. The warming finish is well-balanced and smooth.
And now for our impressions of this boozy concoction…
- ABV: 40%
- Appearance: Looks like slightly cloudy apple juice.
- Limpd: Smells just like a Tastykake French Apple Pie, i.e. apples, raisins, and even a bit of that white sugary frosting.
- G-LO: On the nose, this is straight up apple pie, i.e. baked apple, cinnamon, brown sugar, and maybe even some flaky, buttery crust too!
- Limpd: Starts off sugary sweet as expected but then gets very spicy. Kind of like eating an apple pie with a Red Hot chaser.
- G-LO: Syrupy sweet mouthfeel. There is lots more Red Hot or Hot Tamale type cinnamon heat than I was expecting. The apple pie flavor is there, but it takes a backseat to the cinnamon. The syrupy sweetness lingers into the aftertaste, but not in a bad way.
While Hush Moonshine is not something that we would drink all the time, we definitely enjoyed it. This is much better than the Ole Smoky Tennessee Apple Pie Moonshine that Limpd bought in Gatlinburg last year. That stuff was way too low in ABV and way over the top as far as sweetness goes. If Apple Pie flavored moonshine is your thing, then you should definitely give this a try.