Compass Box Whisky Co was founded in 2000. Prior to the start of new millenium, while the rest of the world was spending massive amounts of time and money preparing for what would turn out to be a “non-disaster”, John Glaser, founder of Compass Box, was spending his time developing blended whiskies that would soon win over Single Malt Snobs from around the world.
To celebrate their 15 years of existence, Compass Box has recently released a special edition of their Hedonism, a blended grain whisky that is part of their Signature Range. They call this special edition Quindecimus. Here’s what they have to say about it…
Hedonism Quindecimus uses grain whiskies of varying ages from five distilleries to create a riotous, intergenerational celebration of all that the interplay between grain spirit and American oak can deliver. The joie de vivre of youth and complexity of age combine to create something seductive, mouth-coating and irresistible.
So join us in this, our fifteenth anniversary toast to all of you that have joined us on the journey since our first bottling. To fifteen years of joyful pleasure. To the thrill of exploration. And of course to the spirit of occasional, unabashed excess.
A few weeks ago, we received a small package in the mail from the Compass Box Whisky Company. In it was the “just enough for sharing” sized sample of Quindecimus that you see in the above photo. We had no idea that it was on its way, but were delighted to have received it since most mail that we get is of the “Please pay this amount…” variety.
Without further ado, here are our impressions of the latest release from Compass Box…
- ABV: 46%
- Appearance: 23K gold in liquid form!
- Limpd: Quite astringent at the onset followed immediately by a big hit of vanilla. Am I detecting a touch of balsamic vinegar too?
- G-LO: Tres tres light and fruity. Peach preserves. Vanilla buttercream. Clover honey. Maybe even a bit of citrus too. Tangerines perhaps?
- Limpd: Spicy with a lot of cinnamon up front. At mid-palate, it becomes sweet and somewhat herbal. The spiciness returns in the long and warming finish.
- G-LO: Good bit of heat at the onset. Once it subsides, the creamy sweetness comes through with lots of vanilla and honey. A touch of spice comes through at the finish while those peach preserve notes make an appearance in the aftertaste.
- Limpd: Quindecimus was positively delightful! There are so many flavors in this well blended and well balanced whisky, and its 46% ABV was just right; there was enough of a kick to keep things interesting without ever being overpowering.
- G-LO: The standard issue Hedonism is a highly enjoyable whisky. That being said, I think I like Quindecimus even more. I like how it’s light and fruity, but with enough spice and intensity to keep things fun. This stuff is deelish!