All very familiar. All very delicious!
So when we were approached to try the latest and greatest from Papa’s Pilar, a Custom Barreled Dark Rum that was finished in ex-Bourbon barrels, you just know that we were going to jump at the chance to travel down the Rum road once more. Here what the folks at Papa’s Pilar have to say about their latest Dark Rum expression that we were lucky enough to sample…
With an appreciation for Bourbon in mind, we unveiled two limited-edition releases of our Custom Barreled Dark Rum which after solera aging in American oak bourbon barrels, port wine casks, and Spanish Sherry Casks, were further aged in bourbon barrels for an additional 90 or 120 days per the rum-makers’ choice. These award-winning special releases are available in nearly 200 on- and off-premise accounts nationwide.
And now for our thoughts…
- Appearance: Deep dark burnished copper color.
- ABV: 43%
- Limpd: Sugar cane (duh!), Lyle’s Golden Syrup, vanilla, and iced animal crackers with a hint of berries and dried fruit (raisins, figs).
- G-LO: This stuff is giving off oodles of deep, rich, sweet scents. The first thing that pops into my head is Panettone thanks to the candied fruit, baking spice, and baked sweet bread notes that are flooding my olfactory. It smells like New Year’s Eve at my parent’s house in a glass!
- Limpd: Medium mouthfeel (not as syrupy as the aroma would have suggested). Sweet but not overly so with a blast of alcohol & pepper making it a bit hot. This is followed by a fantastic finish that is both hot and sweet.
- G-LO: The mouthfeel is a bit thin and watery. Starts off with a quick blast of cinnamon, clove, and chili pepper heat. At mid-palate, the sweet candied fruit and brown sugar flavors start to emerge, but the spices never let go. It all comes together at the finish with those Brioche/Panettone flavors merging with the fruit, spice, and dark sugar flavors. The long lasting finish is full of spices and residual sugar sweetness.
- Limpd: Not your typical rum. Dropping this in a cola would be a travesty. This is a drink, inspired by Papa, that is meant to be sipped & savored as the evening devolves into adventure and storytelling
- G-LO: Wow, that was good! This is a rum that I could sip on all night long. To paraphrase the great Lee Fields, this Papa’s Pilar Rum expression is “sugar, spice, and everything nice”…