Is there anything as perfect as crabs and beer? I was pondering this question last weekend while I pounded through some snow crab and rock crab with the Wookettes. The crabs were delicious but made all the better with the addition a few River Horse Unfiltered Lagers.
Now the River Horse Unfiltered Lager is not a spectacular brew but its mild earthy flavor and creamy unfiltered texture are the perfect compliment to a salty, spicy crab feast. Which begs another question: What other foods are taken to the next level with the right beer?
Here are some of my other favorite specific beer and food pairings:
- Avery White Rascal and Sushi
- Brasserie d’ Achouffe La Chouffe and Belgian Style Mussels
- Smuttynose Shoals Pale Ale and Fish and Chips
- Guinness Draught and Shepard’s Pie
- Paulaner Oktoberfest Bier and Bratwurst with Sauerkraut
- Flying Fish Farmhouse Summer Ale and a Grilled Bleu Cheese Burger
- St John Brewers Liquid Sunshine and Caribbean Spiny Lobster
- Sierra Nevada Torpedo and Spicy Chili (no beans, no tomatoes!)
- Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold and Roast Chicken
- Sam Adams Noble Pils and Buffalo Wings (Top Guns from Charlie’s Bar)
So what are your favorite brew and food pairings and is there anything better than crabs and beer?